Monday, September 15, 2008

weekly photo column

So I have started a photo column that will run every week in the Northeast Times. I am going to try to focus each week on a person in the Northeast who is making a difference, whether large or small, but mainly with the intent to make the NE a better place. This week, I went to PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society) and followed around a volunteer. I interviewed her while shadowing, which was kinda difficult to do while taking pictures (note to self : get a tape recorder!), and I included an excerpt from the interview in text under the photo. Comments, suggestions, please let me know!!

The Northeast Exposed
by Jenny J Swigoda, staff photographer for the NE Times



Marian Marchese, a volunteer for Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) walks a pitbull named Rudy on Thursday night around 7pm.

When asked how she keeps herself from taking the dogs home with her, she responds "You just have to harden yourself, and figure, that if you come here and work, you can take care of more animals. It's so important to get them out of their cages and give them love and attention.

"If you can give them just a little bit of love and attention, that's just so worthwhile for me."

Marchese came to volunteer for PAWS with the intent of just staying for one day and now volunteers at least 3 days a week.

1 comment:

Ronni Moore Photography said...

wow, that's really great and really really rare! I can't wait to see what you post each week!