Tuesday, December 16, 2008

PC week 10, Tai Chi at the Wellness Community





Vince Gilhool, 63, is a participant of a Tai-Chi class at the Wellness Community in Fairmount Park. Gilhool is a survivor of cancer and had tumors on his neck and tongue. He is currently in remission.

"To my mind, the Chinese system has figured out the best way to relax the body. The movement is beautiful and it's relaxing just to watch. I'm practicing memory, balance, relaxation, and concentration. It's all of the things an older person is concerned about. Use your body to perform the right movements at the right time - gently, smoothly, and with maximum openness and comfort level. I do it whenever I get the chance to do it. I go to 4 classes a week.
My life before (cancer), I was going through the motions....(Cancer) changes your view about everything. The stakes have never been higher in your life than after going through something like that. I had no choice, when you're up against it and you have no choice then you do what you have to do.
I remember going to a craft show with friends (before treatment). I felt so filled with emotion that I just started to cry. I was absolutely terrified - I remember pacing the house and my wife (Nancy) asked what was wrong. I told her that I was really scared. I don't remember exactly what she said but she made me feel that I was not alone and I felt much better.
It gives you more of a sense of control. It's learning to settle down. It's an amazing art. The idea is that when you're walking, you're thinking about centering your weight and setting up every move. "

No comments: