Monday, September 29, 2008

Kassim "The Dream" Ouma




Former middleweight champion of the world, Ouma trains at Schuler's Gym is West Philadelphia. The boxer is a native of Uganda and was kidnapped as a child and forced into a life of violence as a child soldier. (Most of his experiences that he and his manager shared were "off the record" but let me just say, this guy has been through more hell than anyone I have ever encountered). At the age of 18, while boxing in a tournament held in America, Kassim escaped and has been competing in the US ever since.
I absolutely love shooting boxers. I have yet to shoot an actual tournament but I have shot several training in various gyms throughout the city. There are so many components involved that make the shots great but I especially love the juxtaposition of this tough, sweaty, and determined individual in such a gritty setting. These gyms reek of hard working athletes and are lit by obnoxious flourescent work lights. But once they step up to the rope, all of that disappears and something almost instinctual sets in. In the past I have set up posed shots but for this particular story I decided not to do that, I tried shooting close ups as well as environmental wide shots. I tried to think about Al Bello, one of my favorite Getty photogs who also happens to love shooting boxing, and really watch each individual and how they move before snapping away.

No comments: